Monday, May 21, 2012

Expectations, Fears, and Reasons for taking the #FlatsChallenge

(I am taking part in the Second Annual Flats and Handwashing Challenge hosted by Dirty Diaper Laundry.  For 7 days I will be using only flat cloth diapers and handwashing them in an effort to prove that cloth diapering can be affordable and accessible to all.  You can learn more about the rules and why this challenge was started by visiting the announcement post.  This year there are over 450 participants from all over the world!)


When I first heard about the Flats Challenge, I really had no idea what all the hype was about. All I knew was that people seemed to be "so excited" about it and "were jumping on board" very quickly. I on the other hand hesitated for awhile...thinking to myself..."do I really want to do this?" And "if I do want to do this...WHY?!" 


You see, I genuinely wanted to do this for the right reasons. It was tempting to sign up on the first day just because everyone else around me was signing up. And then I began to think..."the main topic of my blog is CLOTH DIAPERS, how can I not do this challenge...it would look really bad if I didn't!"  (I know I am hard on myself)


As a blogger, sometimes you can get caught up in doing things because everyone else is doing it, or doing something that will help promote your blog. I didn't want to take the challenge just to say that "I did it"...although that thought did cross my mind a couple of times.


So I began to do what I do best...RESEARCH (in case you didn't know, I research EVERYTHING). I wanted to research the reasons why Kim at Dirty Diaper Laundry started the Flats Challenge, and what I found shocked me! Check out this article/video ABOUT REUSING DISPOSABLE DIAPERS. I could never imagine parents being so desperate that they would reuse disposable diapers. This challenge was created in an attempt to show that cloth diapering can be done on a minimal income!


So I began to think long and hard about my reasoning for doing this challenge and here is what I came up with:


1) To help spread awareness about cloth diapering (in general).
2) To understand and relate with those who don't have access to a washer and dryer, or don't have the funds to spend on name brand cloth diapers.
3) To gain a deeper appreciation for those who came before me in the world of cloth diapering (ex: my mom and grandmother).
4) To advocate for cloth diapering as a feasible and inexpensive option for little bums.
5) To have fun, enjoy the experience, and learn from others who are more experienced than me. 

*BONUS REASON* To turn a few heads and get a few blank stares at the same time:-)


**BRING IT ON DIRTY DIAPERS...I AM OUT FOR YOU**

If You Are Taking the Challenge, What are your reasons or expectations?


What Are You Hoping to Gain by Taking this Challenge?

11 comments:

  1. awesome post julie.. love it.. its awesome we are doing this together.. we can talk about this later and gain so much from it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yeah i forgot.. i love your picture :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome reasons! Have fun this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for joining! Best of luck this week!

    -Kim
    http://www.dirtydiaperlaundry.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm doing it using a pad fold. I wanted to see if it would work. For some reason I just couldn't get over the idea that you could ever just place a diaper in a cover and have it work. Well o my surprise it works and works great, I have now found my new favorite diaper. Hand washing isn't that big of a deal for me, you do what you have to. So, I guess I ha d to try flats and now I don't see me ever using any thing else. Wish I would of found this out about $200 ago!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm taking the challenge because I do want to raise awareness-I have been in situations before where I've been seriously broke. We squeaked by in large part because we did use cloth diapers, and we didn't need to spend the money on disposables. I can't imagine having to shell out that money every week. I wanted to do it in large part because others are not so fortunate-the don't have cloth diapers and they don't have that option. Their only choice is disposables, and I think we all need to help educate others on the options.

    I think you make such a great point, that we should not just do this for the "glory" of linking up. There's nothing wrong with being involved...but be involved for the right reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That video is pretty sad =( I'm also participating in the challenge and wrote about my reasons for taking it in my most recent blog post! GL this week! =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. "the main topic of my blog is CLOTH DIAPERS, how can I not do this challenge...it would look really bad if I didn't!"

    ouch! Have fun this week! You're doing a great job spreading information on cloth diapers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That means a lot:-)I am trying!!

      Delete