If you are new to Cloth Diapering, this phrase may seem a little strange to you..."stripping your diapers"...hmmm...stripping them of what? when? how? I would like to help you out and give you a little insight on Stripping your Cloth Diapers!
Reasons WHY I may need to Strip my Cloth Diapers?
- You notice a NASTY smell coming from your diapers even after washing
- Your diapers seem to be leaking for no particular reason
- You notice an Ammonia smell coming from the diapers once the diaper has been soiled
- You use detergents that are not meant for Cloth Diapers
- You have detergent build-up
- You use rash ointments that are not Cloth Diaper Safe
- You have mineral binding/detergent build-up from Hard Water
- Your baby is getting unexplained diaper rashes
- Stripping your diapers is a way to rid your Cloth Diapers of all of the conditions listed above. It is sometimes considered regular maintenance if you use Cloth Diapers (kind of like an oil change for your car).
- Start with Clean Cloth Diapers (Rinse, Wash), they don't have to be dried to strip! Just wash them as you normally would.
LET THE STRIPPING BEGIN....
- Next, throw your diapers in a HOT wash with NO DETERGENT.
- Then run 3-4 HOT rinse cycles with NO DETERGENT.
- Let Air Dry or Tumble dry on Low.
- If you can see actual spots from rash ointments, you may want to add a tablespoon of the original blue dawn liquid detergent to help with the oil build-up. You can add this in during the First Hot Wash.
- Make sure you do the largest load cycle possible when stripping because the more water in your machine, the better the diapers will be cleaned.
HOW OFTEN should I strip my diapers?
- You may not ever need to strip your Cloth Diapers, but chances are, your diapers will encounter some kind of invasion (detergent, hard water, rash cream, etc). For some people, they like to strip the diapers every month or so. For me, I like to do it every 2-3 months, or if I notice one of the above problems.
In the end, you will have some fresh smelling diaper...even your dog will love to get a whiff!
If you Cloth Diaper, have you ever stripped your diapers?
How do you strip your diapers? What are your experiences?