Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Cloth Diapering 101: Say What?

"Fluff", "AI2", and "PUL"...What the heck do these terms mean? This is what I thought when I first started my research on Cloth Diapers! The full extent of my Cloth Diaper knowledge included "Fuzzibunz." And I am not kidding!
Here are a few terms to help you find your way around this new world of Cloth Diapering!

  • AIO - All in One, type of diaper
  • AI2 - All in Two , type of diaper 
  • AI3 - All in Three , type of diaper 
  • Babylegs -Leg warmers, only for babies
  • Bamboo - all natural diaper fiber known for its absorbency, often seen in doubler inserts
  • BF - Breastfeeding  
  • BG - Bumgenius
  • BM - Breast Milk
  • Bioliners - flushable liners inserted into cloth diapers to make poopy clean up a breeze
  • Contours - see Fitted's
  • Country Save - type of Cloth Diaper Safe Detergent 
  • Crunchy (Mom) - all nautral, eco friendly mom
  • CD - Cloth Diapers
  • CW - Cloth Wipes
  • Doublers - is a second insert that is put into a diaper, usually for heavy wetters or nighttime diapers
  • Fitted - a type of cloth diaper that is easily customizable to your baby and usually come in sizes (S,M,L) making for a better fit, aka Contours.
  • Flats - one layer of cloth folded around the baby and held in place by a pin or snappi
  • Flip - a hybrid brand of cloth diapers by Cotton Babies
  • Fluff - another term for Cloth Diapers
  • FB - FuzziBunz, brand of cloth diaper
  • Gussets - aka poop fence, extra piece of fabric on both side of diaper to hold poop in, disposables have this feature too
  • HH - Happy Heiny's, brand of Cloth Diapers
  • Hemp - all natural fibers used in cloth diaper inserts that are more absorbable than cotton alone. Hemp also have antibacterial properties
  • Hybrids - are a mixture of both a disposable and cloth diaper. There is a reusable outer layer and either a disposable insert, or a reusable inserted placed on the inside
  • J.T. - what I call my son:)
  • MCDS - My Cloth Diaper Stash:)
  • NB - New Born
  • Nappies - another term for Cloth Diapers
  • OS - One Size Diapers
  • Pockets - 3 components including a waterproof outer layer, which is attached to an inner layer that is then "stuffed" with an absorbable insert or doubler
  • Prefoldsflat diaper with a trifold, the middle layer is more absorbent than the outer layers
  • PUL - Polyurethane Laminate, the shiny lining in most cloth diapers that makes them waterproof
  • RG2 or RAR - Rumperooz G2 Pocket Cloth Diaper, a brand
  • RnG (Rockin Green) - type of laundry detergent
  • Ruby Moon - type of Cloth Diaper Safe Laundry Detergent
  • SAHM - Stay at Home Mom
  • Sposies - disposable diapers
  • Snappi - an easy to use fastener that is used to close or hold on a contour or fitted cloth diaper. The snappi replaced the diaper pin 
  • WAHM - Work at Home MomWetbags - portable, waterproof bags that are used to throw dirty diapers in on-the-go or other wet/soiled items

If you have any more terms you would like me to add, or have a question about, let me know! I would love to hear your thoughts and opinions!


Was it overwhelming when you first dived into the Cloth Diapering World?


What terms were you caught up on in the beginning?

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for putting together this terminology list! Cloth diapering (and all the accessories) can be confusing until you get the hang of it. The easier it is for parents-to-be to figure it out, the easier it will be for them to choose cloth diapers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for putting this together. I have been cloth diapering for almost 4 years and still get confused with all of the terminology. This will definitely a link to share with new parents. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was so overwhelmed with all the different types of diapers when I started using cloth. Now my husband thinks I'm crazy when I use all this terminology!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is super helpful - no matter how many abbreviations I think I get the hang of, there are always a few that come up that I just can't figure out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the info. This will be a great reference for those that are new to cloth and a place I can send people who are interested.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good list! This would have been SO helpful when I first started cloth diapering.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for putting this list together. I am still new to cloth and while I already had most of this list figured out you reassured me I have it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for posting this list. I knew almost all of them except "Crunchy". I have seen it around and didn't think anything of it, except for the time when I saw "Crunchy Mom" and it threw me for a complete loop :] Nice to know that it has an awesome meaning!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is very helpful to me as I am new to CD!

    ReplyDelete