"Fluff", "AI2", and "PUL"...What the heck do these terms mean? This is what I thought when I first started my research on Cloth Diapers! The full extent of my Cloth Diaper knowledge included "Fuzzibunz." And I am not kidding!
Here are a few terms to help you find your way around this new world of Cloth Diapering!
- AIO - All in One, type of diaper
- AI2 - All in Two , type of diaper
- AI3 - All in Three , type of diaper
- Babylegs -Leg warmers, only for babies
- Bamboo - all natural diaper fiber known for its absorbency, often seen in doubler inserts
- BF - Breastfeeding
- BG - Bumgenius
- BM - Breast Milk
- Bioliners - flushable liners inserted into cloth diapers to make poopy clean up a breeze
- Contours - see Fitted's
- Country Save - type of Cloth Diaper Safe Detergent
- Crunchy (Mom) - all nautral, eco friendly mom
- CD - Cloth Diapers
- CW - Cloth Wipes
- Doublers - is a second insert that is put into a diaper, usually for heavy wetters or nighttime diapers
- Fitted - a type of cloth diaper that is easily customizable to your baby and usually come in sizes (S,M,L) making for a better fit, aka Contours.
- Flats - one layer of cloth folded around the baby and held in place by a pin or snappi
- Flip - a hybrid brand of cloth diapers by Cotton Babies
- Fluff - another term for Cloth Diapers
- FB - FuzziBunz, brand of cloth diaper
- Gussets - aka poop fence, extra piece of fabric on both side of diaper to hold poop in, disposables have this feature too
- HH - Happy Heiny's, brand of Cloth Diapers
- Hemp - all natural fibers used in cloth diaper inserts that are more absorbable than cotton alone. Hemp also have antibacterial properties
- Hybrids - are a mixture of both a disposable and cloth diaper. There is a reusable outer layer and either a disposable insert, or a reusable inserted placed on the inside
- J.T. - what I call my son:)
- MCDS - My Cloth Diaper Stash:)
- NB - New Born
- Nappies - another term for Cloth Diapers
- OS - One Size Diapers
- Pockets - 3 components including a waterproof outer layer, which is attached to an inner layer that is then "stuffed" with an absorbable insert or doubler
- Prefolds - flat diaper with a trifold, the middle layer is more absorbent than the outer layers
- PUL - Polyurethane Laminate, the shiny lining in most cloth diapers that makes them waterproof
- RG2 or RAR - Rumperooz G2 Pocket Cloth Diaper, a brand
- RnG (Rockin Green) - type of laundry detergent
- Ruby Moon - type of Cloth Diaper Safe Laundry Detergent
- SAHM - Stay at Home Mom
- Sposies - disposable diapers
- Snappi - an easy to use fastener that is used to close or hold on a contour or fitted cloth diaper. The snappi replaced the diaper pin
- WAHM - Work at Home MomWetbags - portable, waterproof bags that are used to throw dirty diapers in on-the-go or other wet/soiled items
If you have any more terms you would like me to add, or have a question about, let me know! I would love to hear your thoughts and opinions!
Was it overwhelming when you first dived into the Cloth Diapering World?
What terms were you caught up on in the beginning?